Autumn is here; beautiful, sunny and cold. Everybody goes back to work or school after holidays, the chill in the air isn’t bad enough to make us dress warmly, virus and bacteria have a field-day and we get ill….every year at this time.
Aromatherapy can help you through these colds and flu’s very effectively, but you need to work a bit on it. First of all you need to boost your immune-system; eat healthy foods, lots of veggies and fruits, (there is a reason they are all ripe now…) if needed, take a vitamin-supplement. Drink herbal and green teas. Pay attention to all “drainers”: coffee, sugary foods, sodas, pre-packaged foods and alcohol. Make sure you come out a while every day for some fresh air and light.
Useful essential oils: (Following tips are for older children, min. 12 yrs, and adults.)
- Lavender (lavandula augusifolia) all-round booster
- Lemon (citrus limon) immune-stimulant
- Eucalyptus (eucalyptus globulus) mucolytic (phlegm in the airways)
- Thyme ( thymus vulgaris) careful since it is strongly irritating to skin and mucous membranes. Antibiotic.
- Marjoram (origanum majorana) deeply warming to the respiratory system. (dry, deep coughs)
- Tea Tree (melaleuca alternifolia) anti-bacterial
- Ginger (zingiber officinalis) boosts the immune-system
- Pine (pinus sylvestris) antiseptic in the respiratory-system
At the first sign of cold or sniffles:
- Take a warm bath with 10 drops of essential oil mixed in a base (non-perfumed soap, vegetable oil, cream or lotion) to mix it with the water. Use thyme, ginger and marjoram together for a warming effect. If you don’t have a bathtub, do a foot-bath in a basin; it warms up the whole body; 4-6 dr. essential oil in a base.
- Gurgle with Tea-tree; 1-2 dr. in lukewarm water, swish it and gurgle. 2-3 times/day
- Inhalation; Eucalytpus and thyme; 1dr. with warm water in an inhalator, repeat 3 times or 3 dr. with warm water in a basin. Close your eyes and inhale deeply; NOT for people suffering from asthma. 2-3 times/day.
- Oil-blend for rubbing on to chest, neck, shoulders and upper back. Blend 5-10 dr. essential oil in 15ml (1 tablespoon ) vegetable oil or non-perfumed cream/lotion. Lavender, eucalyptus, thyme and marjoram make a warming and relaxing blend. Rub into your skin 2-3 times/day or as necessary.
- Air-freshener: A blend of lemon and pine helps clear the air of bacteria. Use in a fan or mixed with water in a spray. If heated, the oils loose much of their anti-bacterial power.
- Take extra vitamin C and Echinacea.
- Fever; Stay warm, rest a lot, bring a hot bottle to bed. Sweating and some fever is the body’s way of killing bacteria and virus. Unless fever reaches high levels (39-40 degree celsius), don’t try to bring it down. Fever also helps you sleep. Try to refrain from taking antibiotics and other medication, since it is hard work for the body to break it down, often the result is a depleted immune-system and weakened liver function, leaving you wide open for disease.
SMALL CHILDREN; 3-12 yrs. (For babies always contact a certified aromatherapist)
- Lavender (lavandula augustifolia)
- Lemon (citrus limon)
- Eucalyptus (eucalyptus globulus)
- Rosewood (aniba roseaodora) immune-stimulant
- Tea Tree (melaleuca alternifolia)
- Marjoram (origanum majorana) deeply warming and relaxing
DOSAGES: (Always lower dosage with younger age.)
- Bath: 2-5 dr./bath. Foot-bath: 1-3 dr./bath. Lavender, rosewood, eucalyptus, lemon
- Gurgle (only older children) 1 dr/ water. Tea tree
- Inhalation; 1-2 drops in a basin, 1 dr in an inhalator, no repetition. Lemon, Eucalyputs.
- Oil-rub: 2-5 dr essential oil in 15ml (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil, non-perfumed cream or lotion. Rosewood, lavender, marjoram, eucalyptus.
- Fever & heat: Same as for adults. The more a child sweats and sleeps, the faster it will heal. Just pay attention that the fever does not go too high. Medication to lower fever often functions activating on a child, they get active and restless. This slows down the healing big time, and once the medication wears off, they are often worse than before. So try to stay away from medication for children.
NOTE: Antibiotics kill bacteria only, not virus. So without a lab-test you don’t know if your cold is from virus or bacteria. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your (among others) digestive system, is one of the biggest causes of rampant Candida Albicaans, and lowers your immune-system. Over-use of antibiotics also lead to resistance to the drug, making it use-less once you really need it. Now there are also antibiotic-resistant bacteria due to over-use. My belief is to save antibiotics for the really big and heavy diseases.
Enjoyable things also help speedy recovery, so enjoy: